I see this quite a bit, agents that get burned out and just kind of go thru the motions of providing security. Security agents aren’t super humans that can go on for days on end. They also just flat out get bored. Static security watches can be really taxing on the mind. You have a lot of time to think and contemplate your next move. And your next move is always getting off watch as soon as possible. Watches are fulfilling and exciting when the threat is high and there is real danger. Fortunately most watches CONUS are not high threat. Most are deterrence based. Some things that can make a watch more doable are:
- Give your Teams clear and concise post orders
- Rotate them often and give them their allotted breaks
- For longer contracts consider a 6 month rotation or 4.
- Stick to a consistent schedule so that agents can plan for personal time with family
- Pay your agents well
- Give your agents incentives for improving their qualifications
- Instill a good physical fitness culture
- Spend at least once a week talking to your agents alone and see how you can improve conditions or the environment
- Make them feel they can always come to your for issues and always make yourself available.
These are just a few things off the top of my head.